Re: Topband: Beverage grounding over rock

To: "Dave NØRQ (lists)" <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage grounding over rock
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:29:08 -0400

Dave NØRQ (lists) wrote:

I'm improving the grounding on my Beverages There is a standard barbed wire fence going by less than 10' away,
with normal T-posts. Would hooking to it as a ground be of any use?

Dave, I had high on two Beverages that were terminated right at the fence line. I though I was doing the right thing by clamping in all the fencing and posts. I was wrong. Only a few days ago I remove the fence connections and repositioned the Beverage feed about 20 feet from the actual fence with a single 4 foot ground rod. All I can say is wow! the noise floor drop 4 S points but the BC reference signals did not drop at all on either beverage. It was getting dark so I ran into the ham shack and the first signal I heard was 9N7BC peaking 579. I know this is not very normal engineering logic but all I can tell you is tat the fence hookup turn a good antenna into a bad one. I have found that small 30-60 foot pieces of insulated wires laid on the ground at the feed or termination, at least, can't hurt. it is easy to do and the experts can let flame me for making the suggestion, but stay away from fences, barbed wire, and semi conductors believing they will enhance your ground. IMHO they won't.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ