Re: Topband: A question on L's

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A question on L's
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:06:47 -0500
"Think of it this way -- the other half of the antenna (the
radial system) is very broadband, so only the top half (the
radiator) contributes to narrowing the bandwidth. "

Unfortunately if one models a free space dipole with zero loss and resonant at
1.8 MHz, it's 2:1 swr bandwidth is 98 kHz. If one models a zero loss quarter
wave over perfect ground resonant at 1.8 MHz it's 2:1 bandwidth is also 98
kHz.  (NEC4)

I've noted something like what w8JI reports though I couldn't have placed it
at 2:1.  There is something at work.  I would suspect it has something to do
with ground lossiness with vertical polarization, but I don't have a shred of
a fact to back it up.

 73, Guy.