Re: Topband: Broadcast interfence on a MFJ analyzer

To: "George (K8GG) & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>,<JAMESAMS88@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Broadcast interfence on a MFJ analyzer
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:18:56 -0500
Sometimes if the BC station is nearby it is impossible to
get the AM signal
out of the antenna analyzer.>>

That just isn't accurate. It becomes more difficult, but
isn't imposssible.

 2.    Put a high-pass filter in series with the analizer.
I did find it
worked almost equally well as the 2 watts to the RX antenna.
Also it still
gave me some meaningful reactance readings I could not read
with just 2
watts down the line.  It may take some phase shifting with a
smith chart to
correct them, but the readings helped me.>>

I'd never do this. A highpass filter has a certain impedance
distributed along its electrical length, and that transforms
impedances. Multiple pole bandpass filters always have a lot
of SWR ripple when the cut off a few percent outside the
desired band.

The solution is really very simple if we stop and think
about it. Just use a parallel tuned circuit with reasonable
LOADED Q across the line. Since the line is 50 ohms the
reactance could be 10-25 ohms for a Q of 2-5. If unloaded Q
is reasonably high, even only 50 or 100, there would be
little resistive loading of the line at resonance.

Now, in parallel with that to ground, add a series circuit
with high Q. That means high values of reactance. On 160 you
would have inductive reactance if the circuit was tuned to
null something in the AM band. Now all you need to do is
offset the initial parallel tuned circuit to compensate the
inductive reactance.

The result is at series resonance a very low impedance, and
at parallel resonance a fairly high impedance. Now you don't
have any phase shift or transmission line effects to deal
with.

With large components like air-dux I can get over 50dB notch
on the upper end of the BC band without hurting 160. With
cheap small components 20 dB or more.

Try that using a highpass.

73 Tom