Re: Topband: Low Dipole for RX

To: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>, "GALE STEWARD" <k3nd@yahoo.com>, "topband reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Low Dipole for RX
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 20:41:48 -0700
Its based on the situation.  In SE Asia, it appears that at Sunset it is
often true that signals arrive at very high angles.  At XZ0A it was
responsible for something like 50% or more of our NA contacts- under
conditions where NO signals were audible on the beverages.

IF you have local noise sources that arrive at low angles, a high angle
antenna might not hear as much noise compared to signal.

Also, I suspect that it will be most useful at sunset/sunrise, or in
disturbed conditions.

On top band, you CAN NOT HAVE too many receive antennas.  If it accounts
for ONE contact every few months that you otherwise could not have
accomplished, hasn't it served its purpose?

Robin, WA6CDR
XZ0A-XZ1N-VP6DX