Topband: Re insulated vs:bare radial wires/Chicke Wire

To: "a Topband COL" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re insulated vs:bare radial wires/Chicke Wire
From: "Thomas F. Giella NZ4O" <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:42:29 -0500
I've always used #12-14 stranded double covered house wire for ground
radials as it's very durable. It held up well under frost heaving in
Colorado. I put my first set of radials down using this type of wire for a
160 meter inverted L in 1989 and the wires are still there!

BTW I have a 574 page e-book published in 1952 called Radio Antenna
Engineering. It covers LF/MF and HF antennas. I downloaded it for free at
http://www.lulu.com/content/159004. It says that putting down chicken wire
type mesh under the vertical is not good due to some sort of RF
cancellation.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
nz4o@arrl.net

COL LF/MF/HF/VHF/UHF Frequency Radiowave Propagation Email Reflector:
NZ4O Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o1.htm
NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data In Graphic & Image Format:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o2.htm
NZ4O Daily LF/MF/HF/6M Frequency Radiowave Propagation Forecast & Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o3.htm
NZ4O Solar Cycle 24 Forecast Discussion & Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o4.htm
NZ4O 160 Meter Radio Propagation Theory Notes:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o5.htm
NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Raw Forecast Data Links:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o6.htm
Florida & U.S. Raw Weather Forecasting Resource Links:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/kn4lf13.htm