Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages

To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:21:30 -0400
> I have recently replaced some "RG-6" in use for maybe seven or eight
> years.
> I opened it up to see what was happening.   The degree of oxidation on the
> inside and outside of the foil was perplexing.  One could easily draw a
> thumbnail along either side and build up a little pile of oxide.  The foil
> itself had become very brittle.  It had been "sealed" and treated outside.

Use flooded cable outside.

> If Jim says the shielding needs help when it's new, there's not much hope
> for some varieties when it gets old.  Another reason not to use anything
> other than the flooded variety.  Particularly so for someone who can look
> at the ocean.  I'm hundreds of miles from salt air.  Would need to go with
> flooded for sure close to the ocean.

CATV F-6 or F59 cables are great for 160, or any HF band use. I use ten's of
thousands of feet of the stuff, much of which has been installed in the
early 2000's.

My trunk cables are primarily flooded hardline, stepping down to F-11 style
(F does NOT mean flooded, it is for F connectors) flooded cables for
distribution, although some F-11 runs are thousands of feet. The longest run
of F11 is about 3000 feet, and it is dead quiet when terminated.

I have measurements on my webpage of F11 excited by overhead dipoles, and I
can say with 100% certainty any claims of meaningful shield leakage are
simply not factual.

The same is true of smaller F6 cables.

The only potential worriesome issues I have seen are lightning melting
shields. This happens when ground loops create large strike currents in the
shields. For example, when my towers get a hard whack from a superbolt, the
common mode current can follow trunks out to my vertical array. That array
has eight 150-foot buried radials on each of eight elements, and currents
that massive wide-area ground will occasionally melt a shield on F-6 cables.

Other than that, Racoons, and mowers, F6 through F11 has been flawless. This
is true in working systems and in actual measurements.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK