Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages

To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 15:47:14 -0400
> Another reason to be leery of crimp connectors. My soldered connector
> stubs
> are still fine after 25 years at 2 locations in very high humidity
> enviroments.

Crimp connections are used all through the CATV industry, and many other
places, and are just fine for many years when properly made. All of my
internal house wiring is non-flooded, as are all the cables in my contest
barn. There are millions of feet of non-flooded cables in MATV and CATV
systems, which is also not a problem provided cables are properly installed
and correct connectors used.

The real problem is using non-flooded cables outdoors, which with even a
tiny hole will contaminate.

Woven copper can actually be worse once it has been damp inside. Strands in
the weave tarnish, and cause high losses and poor shield performance.

The advantage of foil is it has no weave, so surface corrosion does not
deteriorate the cable nearly as fast as in woven conductors. The only
problem, provided the shield has not corroded through, are end connections
and the seam. Seam integrity is mostly problematic at UHF and higher.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK