Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages

Subject: Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:15:29 -0700
On 6/21/2012 8:47 AM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> I have recently replaced some "RG-6" in use for maybe seven or eight
> years. I opened it up to see what was happening.   The degree of
> oxidation on the inside and outside of the foil was perplexing.  One
> could easily draw a thumbnail along either side and build up a little
> pile of oxide.  The foil itself had become very brittle.  It had been
> "sealed" and treated outside.

In the most recent version of his excellent book on Interstation
Interference, George, W2VJN, noted that he had observed deterioration of
stubs made with LMR400 that had been stored in his garage for a period I
seem to recall was on the order of 8 years. Although a properly
installed connector (and no doubt that George did that) should make
excellent contact with the braid, which is tinned copper, differential
current will be on the inner surface of the shield, which is foil.

73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK