Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 15:54:33 -0400
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:47 PM

>> Another reason to be leery of crimp connectors. My soldered connector
>> stubs
>> are still fine after 25 years at 2 locations in very high humidity
>> enviroments.
>
> Crimp connections are used all through the CATV industry, and many other
> places, and are just fine for many years when properly made. All of my
> internal house wiring is non-flooded, as are all the cables in my contest
> barn. There are millions of feet of non-flooded cables in MATV and CATV
> systems, which is also not a problem provided cables are properly
> installed
> and correct connectors used.
>
> The real problem is using non-flooded cables outdoors, which with even a
> tiny hole will contaminate.
>
> Woven copper can actually be worse once it has been damp inside. Strands
> in
> the weave tarnish, and cause high losses and poor shield performance.
>
> The advantage of foil is it has no weave, so surface corrosion does not
> deteriorate the cable nearly as fast as in woven conductors. The only
> problem, provided the shield has not corroded through, are end connections
> and the seam. Seam integrity is mostly problematic at UHF and higher.
>
> 73 Tom

The subject was LMR-400 which, of course, is not flooded and uses a tinned
copper weave over aluminum foil.
If they decided to go with flooding I might even use it outdoors.

Of equal concern is the variety of crimp connector vendors as well as off
brand 400 "type" cable.

Carl
KM1H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK