Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

To: "Richard Fry" <rfry@adams.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:09:17 -0400
Just to point out that we don't have measurements of arrival angles at the ionosphere proving the fields shown in a NEC far-field analysis, either. Yet people seem to accept a NEC far-field pattern as gospel, even though it does not accurately show the radiation launched by a monopole at elevation angles below 10 degrees or so.

We have a lot of things we claim as fact, even though we don't supporting data. Some border on magic.

That's why I A-B test things for several months before deciding anything.

:-)

I installed a 300 foot tower because I remembered how well a dipole at 300 feet worked at a BC station. I was sure, based on the DX contacts, the dipole was a killer antenna for receiving and transmitting. Problem is when I finally installed that wonderful antenna after all that work, my vertical tied broadside to the dipole and badly beat the dipole off the dipole ends.

73 Tom