Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:51:06 -0400
Qualitative or Quantitative...Let me get this straight. If I call CQ and the band is open to Europe on 160 and nobody replies after a couple of hours with my TX antenna #1 with no replies and after switching to antenna #2 I work a dozen stations in rapid succession, that should tell me something.

Yes. It will tell you one or more of the following:

1.) The band opened
2.) Distant noise dropped
3.) Someone spotted you
4.) People woke up from a nice sleep
5.) One of the antennas was much worse than the other

A good way to test a TX antenna is to listen to one of the many SDR receivers available on line and you can her the A/B results for yourself without the G5RV effect.

That's true, but it has to be done over time and on multiple nights.