Re: Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:04:13 -0500
I used to have an ICE model 303 lightning protector which I believe
was a gas discharge tube with a toroidal choke in parallel to ground.

I recall the toroidal choke was to continually bleed the electrons
from the antenna so there would not be a buildup sufficient to cause
damage and to not create a focus for a lightning strike. I may still
have it in one of my boxes of Ham Gear still back in the midwest.

I also remember my father running a not too terribly long wire
outside with a Rf ammeter in series indoors & watching the movement
increase as a storm approached.

Gary
KA1J