Re: Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire

To: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:25:23 -0500
As you have said it is difficult to get a A-B test unless instant switching or direct observation is available.

The purpose of my test was to see if p-static was caused by individual charged particles as they hit the wire, or some other mechanism like corona discharge into the charged air or charged cloud of particles.

My thought was if it was charged particles each making noise, the pitch or frequency distribution would be at the rate of particle contact, and that insulation should mute the effect by slowing rise time of charge transfer from particles to the wire.

Clearly the noise was all from corona at sharp points.

This also agrees with the effects people with multiple antennas see, or even two-way antenna on tall buildings or towers. The highest and most protruding antenna has the first and worse noise. Grounded elements, fiberglass housings, and other tricks make no difference at all. The only thing that matters is streamers from the exact point of corona leakage.

We saw this when a repeater moved from side mount on a tower to a building roof peak. The fiberglass Station Master was swapped for a grounded folded dipole antenna, and both were equally useless in bad weather. The only thing that improved p-static noise was using an antenna well below the height of other sticks on the roof, but that didn't work out because of severe pattern nulls. We could raise the antenna and watch the noise increase, and at the same time actually hear the same sizzling acoustically through our ears and see it at night from antenna tips.

Everyone with stacked monoband identical Yagis sees this on the top antenna. The top antenna is always terrible in inclement weather, even though the same precipitation strikes all antennas equally and the antennas are all on the same tower.

This all, since it all always agrees, clearly means the noise has nothing to do with static drain or insulated or bare conductors. It is all about where the highest voltage gradient to space around the antenna is, and how easy that point can "leak" (generate corona).

I was hoping for a test something like, side by side identical wires, one insulated, and one un-insulated with voltage measuring devices at the ends. Also separated enough not to get Beverage coupling, and using real stormy weather measuring.

Over the insulation breakdown voltage, one would expect them to be equal anyway.

Leakage current to earth was identical in my spray tests. It has nothing to do with insulation breakdown. It is more like the effect of a charged plastic comb. The charge obviously distributed right through the insulation. I suppose if the insulation was really thick the charge migration would be pretty slow, but charging of the wire is not what makes the noise we are concerned with. The noise comes from corona.

I've had insulated wire Beverages and bare wire Beverages since the 1960's or 1970's, often at the same time as mixtures of wire. Neither is any quieter for me for local storm static.

My bare wire Beverages here are dead quiet even while Yagi's are useless in foul weather, unless the Beverage points at the towers or are near tall trees.

73 Tom