Re: Topband: Inverted L SWR Jumps ???

To: "Ashton Lee" <Ashton.R.Lee@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L SWR Jumps ???
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:14:49 -0500
The sloper loads fine all the way up to 1500 watts. The inverted L loads just fine to about 700 watts and then causes the Alpha amp to fault out. I think I am getting a sudden change in antenna impedance. The antenna is fed through a 5 KW rated choke balun. The feed line exits the base between radials. I've tried various feed line lengths, I've replaced every component in the system except for the antenna wire. The antenna does climb along the branches of a tall pine before L-ing outward at about 55 feet. I think the problem is worse at night time when things are cold (and perhaps more humid).>>>>

There could be many things at work. One problem common with amplifiers are defective or misplaced lightning arrestors, or bad coax connectors.

I high-pot all of my connectors. Ohmmeters will not test for the stray strands or bad insulation that cause problems like yours. A good PL259/SO239 combination will hold off 5,000 volts peak, as will any reasonable size cable (RG58 or larger).

You also (as Timmy pointed out) have two antennas, and on 160 it is pretty tough to get enough spacing to really be safe. An UNUSED antenna can sometimes arc at the open feedpoint.

Lightning arrestors have historically been problematic for damaging amplifiers, including blowing bandswitches or causing SWR trips. A lightning arrestor has a rating of power/SWR. An arrestor that triggers at 3000 watts peak into 50 ohms will trigger as low as 1500 watts into a 2:1 SWR at the arrestor insertion point, or as low as 1000 watts peak into a 3:1 SWR. Most manufacturers of protection devices fail to tell consumers this important information. They also can go bad.

It is unlikely anything except the area out toward the open end of the Inverted L can arc, so I would primarily suspect antenna coupling, a defective component or connector, or a lightning protection device.

73 Tom