Re: Topband: Inverted L SWR Jumps ???

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, Ashton Lee <Ashton.R.Lee@hotmail.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L SWR Jumps ???
From: Jeff Woods <jmwooods@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:11:21 -0800 (PST)
That's true; I did assume a reasonably good ground plane, to the extent that
the unbalanced assumption would be accurate.

Still - it's a component that can be removed - at least temporarily - to see if
it is contributing to the problem.

Here's another thought:  connect a dummy load out at the antenna end of the
feedline and run up to full power.  This will effectively determine whether
it's something in the feel line/balun/lightning arrestor.  If all is well to
that point then the problem is in the antenna itself, perhaps the arc-over to
the tree that others have reported.

73
-Jeff