Re: Topband: one-way propagation

To: <jbwolf@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: one-way propagation
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 17:09:06 -0500

It is a known that the ionosphere is not a perfect sphere. It is always moving and it is lumpy and tilted. Together these occurrences can cause focusing and defocusing of the wave due to deformities especially if they are concave or convex. One-way-propagation can reveal itself as a deep and/or prolonged fade on only one end of the link because of the aforementioned reasons. Of course fades can be caused by other reasons, such as multiple paths, etc.

I can't recall anyone who has made a study of this citing that as a reason for non-reciprocity, and Carl's recent post about a broadcast study said the effect someone reported seeing was only on a west-east path and no one knew why. The reasons theorists have cited have only to due with gyrorotation.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but what have they missed to not bring the issues you highlight up? In all of the conditions you mention, what specific mechanism causes a path to be non-reciprocal at any instant of time?

I know why things like lossy networks can be non-reciprocal in impedance, but what is the mechanism at work?

73 Tom