Re: Topband: Shared Apex Loop Array

To: "bruce whitney" <zuceman@yahoo.com>, "Carl Luetzelschwab" <carlluetzelschwab@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shared Apex Loop Array
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:36:55 -0500
Is is a two element crossfire vertically polarized array made from loops.

Personally, if I were going to build one, I would spread the loops apart. I would make the loop centers as far apart as possible, not to exceed 1/4 wavelength on the highest band.

Let me expand a bit how it works. Because the SA array has such close spacing, the center vertical element wires cancel. They just vanish from any significant pattern effect. The result of the shared apex is the loops function as two short ground independent verticals that are phased.

The axis null in a loop forms because all opposing sides carry 180 degree out-of-phase currents. If we push two small loops together, the vertical center wires carry mostly opposing currents, and go into transmission line mode. They are too close for any useful pattern control, so the loop changes mode.

The reason I suggest wider spacing, if I was doing all that electrical hardware, is pushing the loops apart keeps the loop elements in loop mode, so far as pattern is concerned. This will add two nulls through the loop axis. Although the nulls are rather small area, any new null or additional null not in signal direction is a good null.

The no free lunch rule is, as usual, in full force. We simplify by using one support and decrease length, and we lose other nice things.

We have two short verticals phased, instead of what would be three or four with wider spacing.

73 Tom