Re: Topband: Outdoor rope suggestions

To: <Gary@ka1j.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Outdoor rope suggestions
From: "Charlie" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 01:08:15 -0400
Well, my experience has been about the same as yours, Gary!  I got mine
years ago directly from Synthetic Textiles. I got two 500' spools of 5/16"
black Dacron and a 100' spool of 3/16" and a 1000' spool of 1/8 inch. Like
you, I've hauled it from one qth to another over several moves!  It'
virtually indestructible no matter how I abused it or what I subjected it
to. It doesn't stretch, and it handles very well -especially the 5/16 size.
I expect that the 5/16 size would be up   to towing a vehicle. I've never in
my life encountered anything to equal it! At my first qth here in Raleigh, I
held up my 160 Inverted L for several years in a tall pine tree that grew
around the rope, When I went to move, I couldn't pull it down, so I used my
Volkswagen Jetta and pulled the top out of the pine and recovered  my line -
none the worse for wear!  That was 1987, and I've continued to use those
batches of Dacron rope ever since! I  just use and reuse the  same lines!
They've been out in the sun and weather for the past 17 years with no
noticeable degradation! I think most of the other folks like Davis RF and
DXE etc. are selling the Synthetic Textiles product. Great stuff!!

73
Charlie, K4OTV