Re: Topband: TX relays

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TX relays
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 14:18:28 -0400
OK Carl and Jim,

I know you want one-part-number-fits-all answers, but I do not think that is possible. There are tens of thousands of relays and dozens of applications.

I am afraid telling people what to do in no uncertain terms by specifying a part number often winds up being wrong over time as things change.

For example a few years ago a very good Struthers-Dunn high power relay moved to China. The internal wire that used to handle several amperes on ten meters now heats and melts at half that current on upper HF. The root of this problem is the RF specs we are concerned with as amateurs have little or no bearing on the 60Hz or dc relay specs, so they didn't change a thing for relay operation in the published low frequency or dc specs, but rendered it useless at radio frequencies. When a manufacturing process changes, an off-the-shelf relay that had good RF performance can suddenly radically change.

This is why manufacturers that actually use relays in large quantity, while some of the more "grumpy" among us might think are unfairly making money through sinister secrecy, are usually better sources. They do the consistency checking for us. Some of the relays are custom. For example, the RCS8V uses a custom tooled relay that has a double make double break contact, or form X contact. It isn't under a part number at Mouser.

73 Tom