Re: Topband: Help installing compression connectors

To: Tony K1AMF <k1amf@live.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Help installing compression connectors
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 16:56:07 +0000
You need to use a two-level strip. Ideally, use a proper coax stripper (the
kind that spins around the cable with little razor blades inside). You want
about 1/4" of braid exposed past the outer jacket, the inner dielectric and
foil about the same and then maybe 1/2" or so of center conductor past the end
of the dielectric. It's easy to trim the center conductor afterwards if it's
too long, but ideally you want the center conductor to poke about 1/16" or so
past the end of the connector once the connector is properly installed. The
foam dielectric, if stripped properly and with a properly installed connector,
should be flush with the connector inside the nut if you look at the connector
from the end with the center conductor exposed. Note that my "measurements" are
approx. since I usually just setup the tool and go. Once you've done a few and
know what "right" is they're easy to do by eye.

Fold the braid back over the jacket prior to sliding on the connector. The
central tube-like part of the connector inside the ferrule will slide between
the braid and the foil (in the case of multi-shielded cable like tri- or
quad-shield the "tube-like" part goes over only the innermost foil with *all*
the braid between the tube and the outer ferrule). Remove any extra foil (i.e.
foil shields between braid shields in multi-shield cable) so that only braid is
folded back over the jacket. Any foil folded over the jacket will probably make
the connector not fit correctly.

If your coax has "bonded foil" where the foil is glued to the foam dielectric
those connectors will install more easily then the coax with loose foil. The
bonded foil cable is trickier to strip unless you use the proper tool and even
then you should check to make sure none of the foil is shorted to the center
conductor after stripping the cable (sometimes the spin-type stripper will
leave a little foil trail spun around the center conductor that you'll need to
clean up before installing the connector).

If your coax has "loose foil", which isn't very common these days, it can bunch
up inside the cable when you try to slide the connector on. The foil should
slide *inside* the central tube-like part of the connector inside the ferrule.
If the foil goes on the outside by mistake the connector will be very difficult
to install properly.

The PE-jacketed cables are usually not as pliable as the PVC-jacketed cables so
it might be a bit harder to slide the connector on. BE SURE you're using the
correct connector for your cable! They are identified by different colored
rings or sleeves (depending on the manufacturer). Mine are blue for "normal"
cable (one braid, one foil shield), red for "tri-shield" (two foils and one
braid), and purple for "quad-shield" (two foils and two braids). The connectors
will usually slide on fairly easily when they are on the correct cable. Note
that if you use a connector for a larger cable than you actually have it won't
compress properly and will pull off after installation.

If you still have trouble getting the connector to slide on you can make a tool
easily. Get a short piece of 1" or so wooden dowel. Drill a hole in the center
of one end of the dowel such that an F-81 coupler will screw into the hole.
Drill out the center contact and dielectric from the F-81 coupler. Now you have
an F-connector installation tool to help you get some leverage on the connector
while you're sliding it on to the cable. Works great, and costs almost nothing.

   -Bill KB8WYP