Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule
From: W7RH <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:03:54 -0800
Guys,

Here we go again with a discussion of technology verses tradition. As we all know it is already possible to log on line to a remote RX site. Skimmers are all over the place. Should we allow remote RX sites in competition? I think not unless extremely limited in distance from the main site. The full duplex operability and capability is as quoted by Tom VE3CX "a serious game changer".

I have operated a remote TX/RX site for ten years now and it is a totally different situation.. The remote function is used for Dx'ing from home as sufficient bandwidth, latency issues and battery power storage limit contesting to casual operation. I clearly list on QRZ that _all_ operation is from the remote site and not from my home address 200 miles away. All contest operation is from on site and if weather and travel conditions prohibit getting there I either don't operate or operate with someone else at their station.

If I operated that remote as directional RX for home operation using a single vertical with high power that would put me in a better than average position in SOHP category. Expand the remote RX to multiple locations with with a good directional High Power station and it would become a super station. This just isn't right. I realize that all stations are not created equal, one may have acreage with multiple antennas in an array combined with low noise levels. It was planned and built that way within the rules.

I agree with Tree it is another sticky issue. However, I do believe that allowing separate RX sites during contests depreciates the spirit, time, effort, and cost of maintaining a well designed competitive station.
Otherwise pick up a cell phone and call "ur 599 in AZ".

sincerely,

Bob W7RH