Re: Topband: Brave New World

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Brave New World
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 16:28:18 -0800
On Wed,2/25/2015 3:26 PM, john wrote:
are actually physically there--they are not in my opinion , hired guns, that description is unnecessarily unkind and incorrect , in my opinion, they are operating radio(s) on site..on site being the key I appreciate the efforts of w3lpl's et al stations and their efforts... Other than you having an apparent issue with big gun stations and club , the (your), problem is????

I have no problem at all with it -- indeed, I have participated in several multi-multi and multi-two operations. It's a lot of fun. I'm simply pointing out that K4VV is no more and no less than another of those "team" stations. My own station is pretty decent, and can be set up for two operators in Multi-Single or Multi-Two, and I occasionally entertain guest operators.

for the record I am about as far from being a big gun station as you could get.. I guess it is up to each of us to decide what is right and ethical , but for me, until I am slapped into a nursing home,,, Ill take the on site,(real radio) , every time...guess it is personal choices

Over the last ten years or so, I've done a lot of research, and published a lot of it, about RFI, -- all the RF noise on the ham bands that makes life miserable for guys in most neighborhoods. 10dB over S9 noise is common in a lot of places. And for at least that long, I've been reading tales of woe from guys whose CC&R deed restrictions prohibit them from putting up antennas on their own property! San Francisco is a city of more than a half million, yet there are virtually no HF ham stations within the city. Chicago, a city of more than 3 million, had only four guys (including me) active on HF when I moved from there in 2006, and our stations were quite modest.

I think you, and a lot of others who have wailed and wrung your hands about this, have very closed minds. What, exactly, is your problem with those guys, and there are many thousands of them stuck in that situation, operating a station remotely? Should they be relegated to shack on a belt operation on the local repeater?

What I DO strongly object to are contest scoring rules for virtually major DX contests that give a 20:1 advantage to the good old boys gathered around the Atlantic basin.

73, Jim K9YC