Re: Topband: Brave New World

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Brave New World
From: kolson@rcn.com
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:29:36 -0500 (EST)
Sometimes it's more in how things are presented. The thing that struck me was
how the ARRL looked at it was some kind of triumphant feat when it struck me
as, ultimately, kind of sad.

It was late in 2006 when it c ame out that the FCC would remove  the CW
requirement  for HF operation in early 2007 . Actua lly, I had expected it to
happen, figured it was inevitable and had come to grips. But the President of
our local Radio club anounced it on the reflector to the membership with the
message title "A Chris tmas gift to all". Mostly I am a laid-back guy, but
somehow this made me see red. Why?

Back in the day, when a fellow ham would screw up, we would kid him with
"where'd you get your license, out of a Cracker Jack Box?" (or if you are
Firesignian in nature, a Cracker Back Jox) Well, in this case, at least the guy
would have had to buy the box of Cracker Jack! It was the idea that a HF
Amateur Radio license should be a "gift" that stuck in my craw. This also
became tinged with sadness as I realized that the "powers that be" had come to
the (probably correct) conclusion that people would no longer see an Amateur
Radio lic ense as being worth putting in some effort  for and would only deign
to be licensed if it was all but  "given" to them. BTW, this is not intended as
a "you kids get off my lawn" kind of rant, just a statement on how it is.

Ham radio will go on, but the glory days as we knew them are pretty much the
province of us veteran hams . That shouldn't stop us from enjoying it as we
have been doing or welcoming the new hams that "get" what we do. I just doubt
that all that many future hams will look at ham radio  as  we do. They will
find their own ways and interests, but the  romance of putting together their
own  station to work some far away island through the noise on top band will
probably (and, I guess,  understandingly) elude them  in a time where you can
walk down the street talking to your buddy in Australia on your smart phone,
rent a few minutes  on a remote superstation to work the latest Dxpedition, or
operate from a big multi-multi contest station without leaving your apartment.

Best, Kevin