Re: Topband: Mag loop 400W if possible.

To: <TOPBAND@contesting.com>, "jonathan white" <jonathan.white20@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mag loop 400W if possible.
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 09:03:53 -0500
The question always is the amount of area inside the loop and keeping the most distance between opposing sides. There are no tricks or magic. It is all about low resistance and maximum physical size. More loss will help it handle more power for a given capacitor voltage, but you don't want that.

All of the tricks like helical winding or multi turns to make a loop "work better" never actually help, and actually hurt. That's why all the commercial loops settle on a single largest possible conductor and largest size design.

The biggest electrical issues will be connection resistances and how well current and voltages are balanced in the loop, especially in relationship to the feedline and any mast.

73 Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "jonathan white" <jonathan.white20@btinternet.com>