Re: Topband: Mag loop 400W if possible.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Mag loop 400W if possible.
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 09:18:54 -0600
I like to use AA5TB's calculator to get a quick estimate for mag loops.
http://www.aa5tb.com/loop.html#cal

Also see
http://www.aa5tb.com/loop.html

Example: 10 ft diameter loop made from 1 inch diameter copper pipe,
0.05 ohms added resistance
1.8 MHz efficiency = 4.95%
Bandwidth = 1.5 kHz
Cap voltage = 10 kV peak with 400 watts applied
(That will get much higher if you improve the efficiency)

You would have to model it in NEC and calculate the near field to get the safe operating distance.

Jerry, K4SAV