Re: Topband: An oddball question about a BOG.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: An oddball question about a BOG.
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 07:47:30 +1200
My own experience is that a fence does not degrade the Bev pattern too much as long as the Bev is sufficiently high above the fence wire. I mount my wires about 3 m above the fence.

I have never modelled an inductively-loaded Beverage, but my intuition is that it will not perform any better than an unloaded wire of the same physical length. The pattern of the Bev is generated by virtue of the fact that it is excited by different parts of the wave front, the relative phases of which depend on the direction from which the front arrives. If the wire itself is too short this desirable decorrelation is not achieved.

At HF we can inductively load a yagi to make its elements physically shorter at resonance, but we still need the same spacing between the elements if we want to duplicate the radiation pattern of the unloaded yagi. I suspect that the Beverage would behave in a similar fashion.

73, Greg, ZL3IX