Re: Topband: Modeling close to earth ( was Odd-ball question)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling close to earth ( was Odd-ball question)
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 08:25:28 -0400
Jerry et all

My personal antenna FOR 160 was/is as follows

160M T:
  60' Tall with with a 78' flattop. The "bottom"  is at 7' ( so the actual vertical element is 53') with three 90' radials at 7' spaced pretty nearly in 60 degree increments ( 60, 120, 240). There is a tapped inductor in series with the ground side (NOT the vertical side) of the feed point used to resonate the whole thing . For the general approach to loading and using non-resonant radials I was strongly influenced by K5IU's work in Spring 1997 Communications Quarterly  (google should  find you reprints of that) . The vertical is #14 bare stranded copper and the radials are #10 Bare solid copper ( no magic on sizes etc just what I happened to have on hand.  Ezenec  says this should be around 13 ohms at 1840 resonance ( with a 23uh series inductor) . In practice it is closer to 25ohms at resonance  with a about 17uh of inductance.

It is then matched with a 2:1 UNUN to 50 ohms. This antenna REALLY NEEDS and uses a common mode choke at the feed point . This turned out to 10 to be ten FT-240-43 torroid's with 4 turns of coax through the batch, lesser amounts of ferrite became quite hot.

After the smoke clears it all appears to work very well I have worked 24 countries on 5 continents ( still need Antarctica and Asia...tough on any band from FL) in just 4 SUMMER months and I am sure that total will climb quickly once the winter season starts. For the FT8 doom and gloomers half of these were on CW....8^)

Happy to share details of the 80 and 40 M antennas off list, not relevant  to the topband list !

Dave
NR1Dx
manuals@artekmanuals.com