Topband: Modeling close to earth ( was Odd-ball question)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Modeling close to earth ( was Odd-ball question)
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 20:53:59 -0400
Chuck et all

It is well documented that the the NEC-2 based programs leave something to be desired� with wires on or very near the ground, This includes most of the EZENEC� family and MMANA-G� Purportedly NEC-4 ( there is a Ezenec version which runs with NEC 4 engine ... not a cheap date) does deal with the near earth problem .

How close is "Close" is a matter of conjecture. A friend of mine and I have been working on building and modeling vertical antennas ( Verticals, Inv-L and T's) for 160/80/40 with ELEVATED NON-RESONANT radials at 3' and 6' (google "K5IU Elevated Radials") . The good news is at 3' and above both NEC 2 and NEC 4 models agree within 5% or better.� We have not done any comparisons below 3'

Dave
NR1DX