[TowerTalk] Rohn 55, vs 65

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55, vs 65
From: designserv@ipass.net (LYN)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:41:51 -0400

John Brosnahan wrote:

>  it appeared to me from the
> photos on the K3GP site that the failure point may have been the
> turnbuckles.  It appeared that they might have been simple hardware
> store formed turnbuckles, which are woefully inadequate.
>
> If, in fact, they were formed turnbuckles rather than FORGED turnbuckles
> they may fail with as little as 600-700 pounds of force on them.  Not
> much comfort when 1/4 inch EHS guy wire is rated at 6,700 pounds.

The only turnbuckle I noticed in the pictures looked to me like it was
used in a less demanding application -- perhaps on an antenna boom,
instead of the the very demanding guy wire application.

BTW, I certainly am not a welder, but the failed weld pictured reminded
me of some poor solder joints, rather than an a welded joint.  Someone
correct me if I'm wrong -- in a welded joint aren't the welded-together
items supposed to be melted or fused into the common joint, along with
added material from a welding rod?  That joint looked to me like it was
clearly never part of the brace!

I do think that if I ever put up that kind of money into a tower, it will be
standing out in the open with no trees near any of it.

Lyn, W4WDN