[TowerTalk] How bend aluminum tubing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How bend aluminum tubing
From: grimm@lynchburg.net (Kenneth D. Grimm)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:17:53 -0400
Mike wrote:

> >I need to put a 90 degree bend in 1/2 inch 1/16 wall antenna element
> >aluminum tubing. Suggestions for applying a reasonably smooth radius
> >without cracking or excessively fatiguing the aluminum will be appreciated.
>
> There is some stuff on the market called CERABLEND ( I think is how you
> spell it) It looks like lead and feels like lead however it melts at 150
> degrees. Just melt some and pour it into the tubing then when it cools the
> aluminum tubing will be like a solid rod. Then bend the "rod" as needed
> when finished just heat up the thing with a propane torch and pour out the
> CERABLEND, reusable for another time.
>
> Mike...NO6X
Hello Mike and Steve,
The Cerablend sounds very interesting, but Perhaps the oldest "hint or
kink" of all is to simply fill the aluminum tubing with sand as you
apply your bending pressure.  I have used this technique successfully
many times to keep 1/4" copper tubing from collapsing as I was winding
plate tank coils for home brew amplifiers  .As you have already noticed,
however, no one has addressed the question of cracking or fatiguing that
you asked.  I'm sure that the answer depends on several variables,
including the acuteness of the angle and the "hardness" of the
aluminum.  Hopefully someone on the list can provide the information you
need...otherwise, try the hickey, and sand (or Cerablend or door spring)
on a scrap piece of tubing and see what happens. :*)

Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net
BoatAnchor Manual Archive - ftp://bama.sbc.edu