[TowerTalk] Beam Stuck*&%^*#@*

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beam Stuck*&%^*#@*
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 19:33:55 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-08 18:29:10 EDT, k9huh@icss.net writes:

<< Any suggestions to free a stuck beam...I have a TH7 on a 55 foot crank
 up that won't turn....Problem is I can't lower the tower with the beam
 pointing the way it is because of neighbors trees...If I cranked it down
 as far as I can would it be safe to place something like a 2 inch pipe
 through cross members to enable me to climb up to see what is
 happening......Brake is releasing but no movment...are the Cross members
 strong enough to hold it up as described if the cable gives way or am I
 looking to get my toes cut off?? anyone had this kinda problem???? >>

      You've either got a bum rotator or frozen thrust bearing. Either way you
got a problem. If the rotator is older than 6-7 years, it's probably the
rotator.

      You have to have the tower cranked up enough to expose the rotator. Put
some big pieces of pipe or wood through the braces just under the bottom of
the cabled sections. Lower the tower gently until the tower bottoms put some
tension on the pipes/wood. If you can reach the rotator with a ladder, that
would be good. I personally climb crank-ups that are properly blocked up. If
in doubt, get a professional to come in and do the job for you.

     Yes, you can get hurt on a crank-up.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech
US Tower authorized installer