[TowerTalk] C4 Complete, but...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C4 Complete, but...
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:14:53 -1000
>       Just put a C-4SXL together and had the same thing. They were
apparently
>extra but why? Haven't talked to Tom about it. My element measurements were
>also fine without them.

HI Steve,

Just rcv'd the following from Tom:

"Good afternoon.
The assembly you have is the double/triple wall inner liners for the 40 mtr
element. It goes inside, right at the first junction out from the center of
the element. This makes the 40 incredibly strong at the point of maximum
compression. There should be a drawing of how it goes.

If not, please ask Sarah to FAX it to you.

I am heading to a meeting and won't be back until Thursday.

Thanks for the e-mail and have a good day.

73, Tom, N6BT
Force 12, Inc."

Not sure if I am going to take it all apart to insert these "liners";
guess I will call Sarah in the morning and have her fax out
the drawing.  There is no mention of this in my C4 manual,
not any indication on a drawing or photo.

BTW,  also rcv'd  the following from Scott:

"Did you remember to point the gaps in the PVC towards the area of the u
clamp that has the most air (distance from metal)?  If it's gonna spark, it
will do it from that gap in the PVC.

- fox"

And the answer is no;  in fact,  my manual says to position the slot
in the PVC downward,  right after it says to point the rivet heads
downward.  And,  does the above apply to all the elements,
or just the driver.  I searched and searched,  and did spot
a note on one of the photo pages about the 40 meter element;
if the photo I am looking at is what I think I see,  the gap
in the PVC insulator is at 90 degrees from the top,  turned
to the right,  facing along the boom.

Interesting what comes up after you believe you have
finished the job,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M