[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 10:08:16 -0600
On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 "Tim Makins,  EI8IC" <ei8ic@eircom.net> writes:

> I feel the topic of horizontal loops should be expanded on here.
> They seem a cheap and easy-to-construct antenna, which can be
> supported from 3  or 4 wooden poles, 20-30' high,  in the corners
> of a small lot. The wire  can be of a small gauge, and hence almost
> invisible, as long as you don't  mind repairing it after occasional
gales,
> ice or bird-strikes.  I have  heard of one Scottish station using two
loops,
> one above the other, on the  same poles, and claiming very good results

> QRP to VK-land.
>
> Who else has actually used a horizontal loop on the low bands, and
> what are your comments ?
>
> Tim www.qsl.net/ei8ic/

Sorry to disagree Tim, but a LOW horizontal 1WL loop is not my
idea of a good DX antenna.  It IS a good high angle radiator for
local coverage.  On harmonic frequencies, each side behaves
as a phased array of dipoles or long wires, depending on how
the sides compare to one wavelength at the frequency of interest.

A 2WL square loop (1/2 WL on each side), fed on the center of
one side, is an interesting antenna.  It acts as two pairs of half wave
dipoles spaced 1/2 WL and fed out of phase.  Each pair of opposite
half waves gives a bi-directional figure 8 pattern resulting in a nearly
omni-directional horizontally polarized pattern for the square loop.
If mounted at 1/2 WL high it is an effective and useful antenna.
At 20 or 30 ft on 80 or 40M, it SUCKS compared with a higher
dipole or good vertical.

Regarding wire size, anything smaller than #18 copper based wire
is subject to breaking readily from falling limbs or ice loading.

Tom  N4KG