[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???
From: Kenneth Hirschberg" <info@cal-av.com (Kenneth Hirschberg)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 12:41:22 -0700
You're on the right track, Rich.  Compact loops, other electrically small
antennas, and arrays of them will be a growing part of the future for height
and / or space restricted lots, particularly for the low frequency bands.

There is a cost for the size reduction (there's no free lunch).  However,
_properly_ done, their only penalty is bandwidth.  As you may know, antennas
that are lower to the earth get more DX bang for the same "ground screen
buck" owing to their lower phase center.  The possible disadvantage of low
antennas is nearby obstacles.

Beware any loop calculations that take only radiation resistance and
conductor losses into account to predict efficiency.  For the 80M loop you
suggest, (a good choice of size, by the way), you should be thinking in
terms of minimum 4" copper or 6" aluminum tube, plus an extensive ground
screen, to get the efficiencies that you state.

I agree with you on avoiding the "all-band" approach to loops, however,
multiple loops, each covering just one octave, will do a quite acceptable
job, and can share the same ground screen.  Failure to use a adequate ground
screen will throw away half, or a little more, of what ever efficiency is
achieved by controlling the other losses.  Unless, of course, you can get it
3/8 to 1/2 wave above the ground, but heck, if you could go that high, (135
ft.) you wouldn't be worrying about restricted space.  A small back yard
(yes, the definition of small is a shrinking number), say 25' by 40', would
allow construction of  a good ground for an 80M loop.  I better define
"good":  On, or just under the surface, all conductors bonded to each other
where they cross, if they do, and conductor spacings of 0.015 wavelength or
less, plus a circumferential conductor bonded to the ends of all other
conductors.

BTW, look at my call on the QRZ web site for a look at a 2" diameter tubing
loop, and a good laugh.  The loop is now on 30M.  It is "screened" from
lossy earth because it "sees" the close van roof, and not the earth.
Performance is outstanding.

73, Ken
K6HPX