[Towertalk] Re: Any glaring discrepancies? -- Summary

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Any glaring discrepancies? -- Summary
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:05:45 EDT
In a message dated 4/15/02 11:19:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
blueis@sprintmail.com writes:

> 4.  I still plan to use a 20' mast.  Since I do not want to do this project
>  twice, I am going to use a 20' chromalloy mast.  The A3WS will sit at the
>  top of the mast.  This will provide approximately 13' or 14' of vertical
>  separation.

    In this case, a chromoly mast IMO is mostly a waste of money. Yes, you
need an adequate mast but it'll be almost double the price of a SAE 1026 or
1027 carbon alloy steel tubing.

    Your load is reasonably small and your windspeed low (Cumberland county
is 70 MPH - the lowest rating they give) so, while I don't discourage anyone
from over-engineering something, I wouldn't spend the additional money since
there's no benefit from it.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH