[Towertalk] lightning-slightly off topic

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] lightning-slightly off topic
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 10:55:55 -0500
I think what's missing here is perspective. It's hard to tell how much
distance separates the tower and the plane. That the tower, which would be
rather small, compared to the plane, appears as big or bigger than the plane
suggests the plane is quite far from the tower.

If the tower was well-grounded and was in the path of the lightning, there's
a good chance it would get hit.

Grounding isn't designed to ward off strikes; it's designed to channel them
safely to ground. Indeed, the lightning rods you see on barns and some rural
houses are specifically designed to attract hits (notice the sharp point) so
tha the lightning rod and not the house or barn takes the hit.
73,kelly
ve4xt