[Towertalk] lightning-slightly off topic

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] lightning-slightly off topic
From: bhider@y2marketing.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:33:58 -0400
Planes get hit dozens of times/year and they're designed to take it.
Nothing happens to the avionics.  There's no difference of potential across
the equipment.  The charge is quickly disappointed.
The little static discharge devices (that look like wires) on the trailing
edge of the wings discharge the static build up into the air like a ground
rod does in the ground.

In another life, I was a supplier to the avionics industry and our
fuselage-mounted radomes had to withstand lightning which were tested in a
simulated environment.

Bill, N3RR