[Towertalk] Helium Balloon

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Helium Balloon
From: bruce@epocs.com (Bruce Miller)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 10:11:55 -0700
I doubt it's a harebrained idea, or if it is, you've got company.  In
January, 1989, I was part of the VK9ZM & VK9ZW dxpedition.  While at our
second stop, on Willis Island, we noticed that the fellows living on the
island launched a weather balloon each evening around dusk.  The
Australian Bureau of Meteorology employs a 4 person crew living on the
island full time for a 6 month stint.  Our 160 meter guru, and my good
friend, Dave, KJ9I, saw the weather balloon as a perfect way to launch a
160 meter antenna.  Up to that point in the trip, our 160 meter antenna
was a "Minooka Special".  I think the Australian boys saw the idea as
entertaining and in no time a weather balloon, courtesy of the
Government of Australia, was being readied for launch.  I think Dave did
make a few contacts but as the balloon reached the end of its tether,
instead of remaining high in the evening sky, I think the prevailing
winds caused the balloon to sort of lay down low in the sky.  I'll have
to ask Dave if he made any QSO's during that adventure, and if he did,
to whom and how many.  I say, go for it, and keep us posted.
Bruce Miller, AA5BH & ZF2KN