[Towertalk] Power ground rod driver

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Power ground rod driver
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:13:12 -0000
On 28 Nov 2002 Chuck Counselman wrote:

> At 9:02 PM -0800 11/27/02, Richard Karlquist wrote:
> >Everytime this subject comes up,
> >someone mentions the water pipe
> >method.  Around here, that works
> >wonderfully for a few feet until
> >you hit the "cemented hard pan".
> >Which is waterproof.
> >Then you get out the fence post
> >driver.  1/16 of an inch per blow
> >if you're lucky.  I've already
> >worn out one fence post driver
> >(eventually poked a hole in the top).
>
> Here in northern New England the ground is full of rocks.  I've had
> _great_ difficulty driving ground rods.  I need to drive more of
> them.  What should I do?  An impact device _much_ more potent than a
> manually operated 20-lb. "fence post driver" or hammer is required to
> bust through this stuff.
>
> -Chuck, W1HIS

Chuck,
I went through this about a number of years ago. Here' we have a lot of
shale about 4 feet down. I typically use a sledge hammer to get the rods
in. Once, I rented a Bosch electric jack hammer (60 lbs as I recall) and
ground rod driver. Most of them still wouldn't penetrate the rock. So, I
cut them off at ground level with a hack saw, and just put more in the
ground.
Barry W2UP--