[Towertalk] Power ground rod driver

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Power ground rod driver
From: Jim@shawresources.com (Jim Shaw)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:51:14 -0800
Chuck
Although I have it somewhere, I can't find the 'official reference' to the
following idea.  But I seem to recall the following alternative approach is
an option for situations where a vertical ground rod is just not possible:

Dig a 10 foot long horizontal trench (assuming you are using a 10 foot long
ground rod) at the rock table level (3 or more feet down?) and lay the
ground rod in the horizontal trench then cover and 'compact' the trench.
For best results, dig several trenches in a hub and spoke pattern and attach
the ground wire lead to the ends of each ground rod at the hub of the spoke.
The idea is to ensure lots of soil contact.  If you absolutely can't get it
by going down vertically, then horizontally was the backup plan according to
his presentation.

Seems like this was presented at the most recent Pacificon by a long time
utilities (electrical or phone - can't recall) employee who is a 'ground
expert'.  I am almost certain his call is WA6ZAP (at the time, attendees
commented on the appropriateness of his call to the topic he was
presenting). As I recall, he lives in the San Francisco East Bay Area
(Concord, CA??).  I suggest you contact him for ideas on how to deal with
the situation you describe.  Probably can get in touch with him via MDARC
(Mt. Diablo Amateur Radio Club), the Pacificon sponsor.

 http://www.mdarc.org/

73 de Jim WA6PX
JGShaw@Alumni.HAAS.org