[TowerTalk] how vertical is vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] how vertical is vertical
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed Mar 5 07:41:24 2003
At 11:02 PM 3/4/03 -0500, KI7WX@aol.com wrote:
>With all that, I tend to over do things a bit so if I were putting up several
>towers at once, or perhaps one big one (FWIW I define "big" as over 140 feet
>for hams), I'd probably seek out a professional to sight them and get them
>all perfect. I bet with a bit of poking around you can find someone who would
>have the right gear and do it at a reasonable cost. I looked into this a bit
>just to inform myself when I started building in NC. The rental cost on a
>transit was not prohibitive given the cost of towers in general.

Just for the sake of discussion, why couldn't you just make up a little
fixture that would hold the top end of a plumb bob contrivance, say 4
inches out from a tower leg and in plane with one side of the tower?  Make
up an identical fixture for the bottom to serve as a target, wait for a
moment with no wind, and voila.

It seems like something like this could even be used as you added each guy
set during the tower building process.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm