[TowerTalk] Re: Tower Base Hole?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower Base Hole?
From: Bob Smith <na6t@na6t.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 00:29:18 -0700
HI All,

Well , up to this point i've got you all beat on the hole situation. I Dug my own
hole for the base of my LM-470D in 1984. The spec said 3.5' x 3.5' x 7'6". Well
I'm 6'3" tall and I knew that I wouldn't fit in the hole while digging it. So I figured
a 4.5 sq size would be better to work in and there were NO regulations for installation
of the tower in my 'city', I checked and got a letter from the city manager saying that
the regulations DIDN'T exist and a permit was needed. (much to his amazement after
I installed the tower and antennas)

Well the ground was a little soft and I finished up with a hole about 5 x 5 x 8. A couple
of days later I found that there was a 'small underground stream' at the bottom and
the hole had grown to about 6'x 6' at the bottom after we pumped the water out to see
where the water was coming from. I called a contractor friend of mine and he checked
the hole and said don't worry, just form it up, drop in the rebar and pour the concrete and
what water is in the hole will be displaced by the concrete.

I figured, a deeper hole? , add rebar to the base and take advantage of the 'bigger hole',
away we go.

I then called another friend (who works at the quick mix plant) and had him tell me
how much concrete to order, he told me between 13-14 yards (two trucks) and left
to set up the delivery.

Well, we finished pouring and formed off and finished the top with a 5' x 5' top above the
ground and a massive base below,,, yep,, all 14 yards went in the hole. Two six packs
of beer and $500 to the batch plant,,, The tower has KLM monobanders for 10-20 (6ele
20) and dipoles for 40-160 with the 10m monobander at 85' (25' .25 wall monel tubing with
a 20' piece of .25 alum tubing sleeved into it for mounting the 160 dipole) 20' out of the tower
and 5' inside with a thrust bearing at the top and another one at 4.5 feet from the top inside
the tower. Why two??? well I can remove the orion 2800 rotor and not be worried about the
mast 'swaying in the wind' and there is NO down pressure on the rotor. What did this cost?
1 extra thrust bearing and an extra rotor plate. This is a little extra insurance for the price.

And the best thing is :::: NO PERMITS NEEDED,,, the downside of the installation is
if the tower ever tips over it's gonna take 1/2 the patio with it, but I really don't think this
is gonna happen with the 'small' counterweight on the bottom of the tower...

Bob
NA6T

Bob Smith
A.R.S NA6T
ARRL Life Member
Fort Bragg, California   95437

"On The Air-Conditioned Mendocino Coast, In REAL Northern California"
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.