RE: Fwd: Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors

To: "'Dino Darling'" <k6rix@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Fwd: Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors
From: "Steven J. Gehring" <stevekz9g@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:03:18 -0700
All:

Someone mentioned weatherproofing RF connectors, despite their inherent
characteristics (N type vs. UHF).  This sounds like good advice to me.
Personally, I like to use Scotch 70, a self fusing, silicone rubber tape for
waterproofing outdoor RF and electrical connections.  I even add an extra
layer of something like Scotch 33 or 88 (if it's warm enough outside) for
peace of mind.  When it's time to get to the connector, I easily split the
tape layers with a knife slit - no mess or fuss.  I haven't found any water
intrusion here in WET Seattle or COLD Alaska.  You can find Scotch 70 at
your local electrical supply houses.  It's expensive, but worth every cent
in my book.

73 de Steve, KZ9G
Bothell, WA
kz9g@arrl.net