Re: [TowerTalk] N4XM's X Match Tuner Info

To: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N4XM's X Match Tuner Info
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:51:50 -0800
At 10:29 AM 12/2/2003 -1000, Jim Reid wrote:
<snip>
The XMatch series capacitor which is switched to be in
series with either the tuner input or output connector is
a "bank" of doorknob type capacitors which total 575 uF,
rated at  5 kV.  The two sections of the LARGE
variable capacitor  (which is switched to the opposite
connector from the bank of fixed capacitors) are
in parallel,  forming a large amount of variable C,
I presume enough C to equal, or come close to
the same 575 uF,  but perhaps not.  The instructions
suggest that if you find the variable C approaching
high numbers,  something is amiss and you should
change the length of your feedline, or change the antenna
particularly if you are going to be QRO.

I assume you mean 575 pF, which would have a reactance of about -140j ohms at 2MHz (half that on 80, etc.)

I'd imagine that the usual situation is feeding a physically short antenna, where it presents some fairly small R with a big -jX. A matched monopole would be 36 ohms, and since relatively few folks have a 130 foot high monopole, it's likely that the usual situation would be an R around 10-20 ohms with a few hundred ohms of -jX in series. Adding another 140 won't make much difference, and you'll tune it out with the shunt L anyway. However, the combination's going to be pretty high Q. Say 300 ohms of reactance and 30 ohms of R, that's a Q of 10, and, more to the point, 10 times as much reactive power flowing around the circuit as active power. If you're putting that kilowatt of active power in, the reactive components need to handle better than 10kW. I suspect that the important rating on that capacitor is not it's voltage rating, but the RMS current rating. 10kVA at 140 ohms implies 70+ RMS amps. I haven't seen many RF capacitors that have that kind of current rating.

This is all sort of loose ballparking, but, it goes to show that designing a rugged matching network is non-trivial.

The recommendation to change feedline length implies that you'd hope to use the feedline as an impedance transformer of sorts, to get the impedance presented to the tuner to a reasonable value. This would imply, then, that there's a fair amount of reactive power circulating in the transmission line. Hopefully it's a pretty low loss line!