Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business
From: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 07:32:24 -0800 (PST)
I remember my first climb. In 1970 I installed my
first tower (50ft of R25). Some if my fellow FRC
members helped with the installation as this tower
business was all new to me. The R25 had the hinge base
so we tilted it up with a temporary gin pole
(extension ladder). After the tower was up (the
antenna & rotator were installed before tilting up). I
was given the job of going up the the 40ft level and
removing the pull cable. The guys handed me the
climbing belt and up I went. When I got to 40ft, I
"belted in" and looked around (I had been looking ONLY
at the tower on the way up). It looked so high, I
thought I was on top of Mt. Everest! My knees were
knocking together so hard I think you could hear
them!I took a few (many?) deep breaths and removed the
pull cable. I then climbed back down (shakely). That
ground never felt so good! Since then I've spent
hundreds of hours on towers, in all kinds of weather
(even at night) but still find I need a few deep
breaths from time to time. Brings back a lot of
memories. Stay safe guys...

73, Stew K3ND

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/