Re: [TowerTalk] Static grounding protection-experience

To: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>, <wcmoore@verizon.net>,<Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Static grounding protection-experience
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:20:13 -0500

Y'know, in all this hypothetical discussion, I haven't seen anyone express what I think are the real "home truths" on the subject --

To wit:

Unless you have a purpose-built shack and grounding system, and the knowledge to be sure that you are doing *everything* right (which few of us do), the best way to protect your equipment and your house is to disconnect every conductor between the tower and the shack, whenever you are not on the air. Otherwise, you can spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on line protectors, only to discover that some inadequacy in your ground system (for example) will still allow voltages to rise high enough in the shack to fry every semiconductor in the place. If the strike is close enough to your house, you can still have extensive damage through induced voltages on conductors in the house, even if everything is disconnected. TANSTAAFL

73, Pete N4ZR