Re: [TowerTalk] Assembled tower; lifting by Crane

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Assembled tower; lifting by Crane
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:01:30 -0500
Pat,

I am no expert, so please don't try this at home.  But, I'll pass along what
the sign/crane company told me last fall...

I had already assembled 70' of my 80' 25G tower with the help of a friend.
At that point, it appeared the one friend I had who might be able to get the
antennas to the top wasn't going to be there (then or in the near future).
When I called the sign company, the owner told me I should have just
assembled the entire tower on the ground and had them lift the whole thing.

He told me they had done it with 120 feet of 25G.  What he said that had
done was assemble the 12 sections of 25G on the ground and somehow propped
it up and mounted the rotator, mast, and antennas.  Using a 100' crane
normally used to lift signs, they hooked on at about the 90' level and
lifted the entire structure into place.

I have the impression that professional riggers and installers on this list
will have their jaws hit the floor over that, but its what he told me
anyway.  He said they had done it many times.

Tom, NI1N