Re: [TowerTalk] Assembled tower; lifting by Crane

To: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Assembled tower; lifting by Crane
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 05:48:14 -0500
> He told me they had done it with 120 feet of 25G.  What he
said that had
> done was assemble the 12 sections of 25G on the ground and
somehow propped
> it up and mounted the rotator, mast, and antennas.  Using
a 100' crane
> normally used to lift signs, they hooked on at about the
90' level and
> lifted the entire structure into place.
>
> I have the impression that professional riggers and
installers on this list
> will have their jaws hit the floor over that, but its what
he told me
> anyway.  He said they had done it many times.

We did it a few times a month with 25G by attaching about
2/3 of the way up....a single point attachment....but that
was with perhaps a half dozen VHF/UHF monoband yagi's and
logs for TV channels.

I just did it with a 150ft 19" face tower by attaching at
100ft. I'm sure it would have handled more.

All you need to do is wrap the whole tower and weave around
a leg below and above a crossbrace so it doesn't slip. Watch
it when you start to lift for bending.

73 Tom