Re: [TowerTalk] Crip connectors

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crip connectors
From: Steve Maki <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:15:28 -0400
Gene WØQFC wrote:

> I bit the bullet and bought a new crimp tool (RFA-4005), connectors
> (RFU-5Ø8-X and coax (#116) from The Wireman.
> The only experience I have had with crimp-on's is with TV coax and spade
> lugs, so I need some help with these connectors for the mini 8 coax.
> I have a stripper that you can set for RG6, 58 and 59, so I use the setting
> for 59 which is close to the mini 8.
> The problem I have is after pushing the connector on the coax it expands the
> shield/outer jacket to a point that it is almost impossible to slide the
> round crimp sleeve all the way on the connector. It looks as though either
> the coax is too big or the sleeve is too small (or, I am doing something
> wrong!).
> Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just me doing something wrong?
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Without having used the specific connectors you mention, I'm
going to guess that you are trying to use standard "F" connector
technique. The "other" technique is probably the one you need
to use with your connectors.

That being, you first slide the sleeve onto the cable. Then you
trim the jacket back shorter, and you do not fold the shield
back over the jacket like you do with an F connector. When you
push the connector on, it does NOT expand the jacket, because
you've trimmed the jacket so that it ends right at the edge of
the connector.. The shield goes over the back of the connector,
and the sleeve is pushed over the connector (and shield) as far
as it will go, and crimped.

Hope that helps.

Steve K8LX