Re: [TowerTalk] Foundation for a tower -- cost

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Foundation for a tower -- cost
From: "William P. Chiles" <chilesp@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:52:59 -0400
Alan,

I put in a 5 ft x 5ft x 8ft foundation last November.  My first quote for
digging the hole was $700.  I didn't want to dig it myself because it is in
hard clay.  I eventually found a neighbor who owned a backhoe that did it
for $200.  Here is a breakdown of costs for my do-it-yourself effort:

    Hole digging                             $200
    Cement                                    $960  ( rent a vibrator to
move the cement around in the hole and get the air out.  My neighbor had one
to borrow.)
    Rebar to build Cage                 $200  (the tower is self standing
with 8 vert. #9 and 6 #5 saddles. Rebar was cut and bent to order)
    Lumber                                    $ 20

                Total                            $1380

As someone else said, building the cage is easy.  Wire it together and  have
it ready when the backhoe is ther and get him to lift it in.  I dug a 4x4x4
foundation in sandy soil once and it wasn't too bad.  If you are not able to
dig, I would bet a couple of teenagers would do it for a couple hundred
dollars.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Pat, K8PC